Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 18, 2010

On The Other Hand, He WAS The first Pope (Prudence)

There was a woman once who told me that
                Peter is a fitting middle name for me.
She was a church-going woman.
She knew a thing or two on the subject.
And she was laughing when she said it.

I’ve spent my life being angry for no reason.
I’ve cut off more than my share of ears.
A friend of a friend once asked if maybe I wasn’t a psycho
                Because I looked ready to murder all the time.
My friend told him, “That’s just how he looks.”

I’ve had my doubts (and I’ve pretended to, as well).
Sometimes for no other reason than the pure shock value.
I told a teacher once, “There is no God.”
And I knew while I was saying it that it wasn’t true,
But I reveled in the look on her face all the same.
(She really was such a sweet woman.)

The point is, I’ve had this struggle
From time to time.
But I really DO believe in God.
And I like to think that I, too, would leap from the boat and swim to the shore.

I don’t know it for sure.
But I do like to think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment